Workshops & Classes (and other fee-based notices)
Please note that there are very specific guidelines that you must adhere to if you are posting a workshop or other fee-based notice (e.g., any pay-to-play opportunity, such as an opportunity in which the participants must pay an entry fee, registration fee, membership fee, tuition, etc.).
- You can enter the headline for your listing in the Title field on the posting form. However, please note that this field must contain a short, concise, objective project title. This field is not intended for advertising copy, age ranges, or dates. It should just be the name of the actual class/workshop or business. Typically six words or less.
- When posting your notice, you must choose the Workshops & Classes category as the primary Production Type for your listing — or the Competitions or Groups & Membership Companies category, depending on what type of opportunity it is you're listing. (All of the other categories here are only intended for projects that don't require any fees from the talent.)
- In the Compensation & Contract Details field you must list out the specific prices you're charging.
- In the Locations field, add the specific location where your Workshop (or Class, Competition, etc.) is taking place. If your project involves any in-person attendance, do not choose the "Nationwide" or "Worldwide" options (or states outside of where your class is taking place): Our multi-state and nationwide/worldwide listing options are primarily only intended for opportunities that are providing pay and/or transportation (and aren't charging any fees).
All listing locations must be highly relevant to the location and time-zone of the area(s) in which the opportunity is taking place. Opportunities that require fees from participants cannot be listed in areas where the participants will also be required to travel outside of their local area.
- At Checkout, you must select the Featured listing upgrade. (You cannot post a Workshop/Class listing using just our basic option, as this basic price is only intended for listings of actual jobs and casting calls for performance opportunities.)
- If there are additional categories that you believe apply to your listing, then you can choose these categories prior to Checkout by clicking on the Extra Categories listing add-ons option. For example, if you're hosting a musical theater workshop that will also result in a guaranteed public performance of a musical at the end of the semester, you might be eligible to choose Musicals as a secondary category. This is a great way to increase the exposure of your listing, but this option must be used with discretion, only in special circumstances, and with the approval of Backstage.
- Listings should be written in a clear, precise, objective, and grammatically correct format and adhere to our standard listing format and style. For instance, "All Caps" is not allowed. And any nonobjective, exclamatory, or first-person statements should be enclosed in quotes and credited to "The school states" or "The producer states" or "The company states," etc.
Note: Our editors will rewrite every listing to ensure it complies with our preferred wording and format. We also reserves the right to remove, reject, alter, or recategorize any listing at its sole discretion. By submitting your listing, you're agreeing to these terms and conditions and understand that Backstage maintains complete control over the final wording that will be used in the listing.
Additional specifications and rules may also be communicated to you via our Casting Department. For more information, please contact us using this web form with your questions.
Please note that prices may vary depending on your geographic location.